Wednesday, April 29, 2009

On Auto Pilot


Feed information in.
Paper spits out.
Inventory, data, spreadsheet, log, blog, blah.
I feel so much time is spent on mundanity and ordinary office work that my mind no longer functions as it used to.
I used to think in color--technicolor in fact.
It had swirls and flourishes-large canvasas splashed with flashy color and shape.
Now my brain works in charts and graphs-working to solve simple problems, mathematically. Solutions to other peoples problems are calculated with almost robotic force. I don't feel it.
I want to run inside my brain with gesso and cover the ordinary so I can start over. Tabula Rasa.
Then begin the repainting.
throw a little orange down--splatter a little pink and green and swirl some green.
There's so much canvas! I can't stop there! Why not put a few lines of yellow...oooh...now some blue....deeep blue.
I sound crazy.
But when was the last time I painted?
When was the last time I did something random and unnecessary just for the sake of doing it?
Everything seems so planned now.
It's written and documented--labeled and scheduled.
Why does everything have to be so sterile?

2 comments:

Sarah said...

You don't sound crazy. And I love how you've articulated this. Have felt this way before. Mostly whilst doing bleak admin jobs. Paint away gorgeous! And put the results on here, please!

Face Meets Floor said...

There are days where I feel like this also, stuck in front of a monitor for 9 hours doing nothing but mundane tasks.

The good thing about forcing yourself to think this way is that suddenly you feel much more liberated and free when you can slip the shackles off of your mind and allow it run rampant through the fields of creativity with a scythe.