Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Holly Days


Ok-so that's not a picture of holly....sue me.

It's also been in the 60's for the past week...so you know---not exactly a "typical" Christmas--though I guess a "typical" Christmas here would include :

- trees falling in the living room
- someone almost lopping a digit off while cooking
- cats climbing the tree and nearly getting electrocuted
- massive eggnog consumption followed by cursing as waistline increases five-stone
- massive cookie consumption followed by cursing as waistline increases five-more-stone
- decorations being hung on every available nook, cranny, wall and crevice until house bursts with Christmas cheer...no I literally mean BURSTS...

All kidding aside-I'm really excited about this year. We're breaking with tradition. I think our family has held onto alot of tradition, some really fun ones, but some just seem like less tradition and more habit.
When is it time to put aside habit and start new traditions? I think when we realized that panic, depression, and discontent were the 3 side effects of the holidays, we knew it was time for a change. I've seen alot of change within our little family this year. So many things I thought were clad in stone that would NEVER change are abruptly shifting--and I think for the better. Who knows, by next Christmas we MAY have peace on earth.

All I know is, even though we're not perfect, a little baby named Jesus came a couple thousand+ years ago, who grew up and taught us how to love one another perfectly--and we'll always kind of suck at it--but the thing is, at least I see some improvement. And in this family, when I see that perfect love, every now and again--it make me feel like someday there is going to be peace---like someday we're going to be ok.
And I know that Jesus is with us every day, even when we're cursing the tree falling over...he's probably cracking up and just urging us to try hanging the ornaments on the other side so the crooked branches won't show.....haha





3 comments:

Kath said...

<3 you Emily. I want to know all about Christmas with the Rockwells!

emyink said...

don't worry--as soon as I get back--there will be pix and updates :)

Kath said...

Yay, now I'm waiting till you get back to your house to update, of course. I'm hoping it's soon, but at the same time want you to have a blast with your fam :-P